The longer it sits, the better this pasta salad tastes. I promise. The roasted vegetables add such great flavor to this salad, and surprisingly the whole-wheat pasta works very well in this dish—the nutty flavor complements the other ingredients nicely.
I even discovered a trick that can be used for any pasta salad. After cooking the pasta, toss it with vinegar and lemon juice and refrigerate it for an hour or two—this will prevent the pasta from absorbing the dressing and drying out as it sits.
Pasta Salad with Roasted Veggies
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- olive oil, to coat
- 1 lb. whole grain rotini pasta, cooked according to pkg. directions**
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Chop all vegetables into 1/2-inch pieces. Place vegetables in roasting pan and toss with olive oil. Roast in oven for about 30 minutes at 400 F, or until tender.
- Toss the vegetables with the pasta in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
*The trick and recipe that I adapted were discovered here at Better Homes & Gardens: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/grilled-veggie-pasta-salad/
**See background for tip.