Since we are moving, lately I have been trying to use up what we have in our pantry. In this case it happened to be some penne pasta and herb seasoned stuffing, among other random ingredients. Luckily, my creative juices were flowing pretty good yesterday and I ended up coming up what I would call a Mac’n Cheese Masterpiece. If you’re not aware, I really like Mac’n Cheese. If you don’t believe me, check out my Pinterest board entitled “Mac’n Cheese Excitement”–here’s the link: http://www.pinterest.com/cd_bean/macn-cheese-excitement/. Anywho, I hope you give this recipe a try. It was really flavorful and delicious, I promise.
Cheesy Penne Pasta Bake
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup broth (you could use chicken, vegetable, beef…)
- 1 cup milk
- pepper and nutmeg, to taste (trust me, the nutmeg worked)
- 1 container plain greek yogurt (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used German gouda and a Mexican cheese blend, like I said, random ingredients)
- 1/2 cup herb seasoned stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, undercooking it a tiny bit.
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Saute the garlic for about 1 minute, then slowly whisk in the flour. Next, slowly whisk in the milk and the chicken broth. Add the pepper and nutmeg. Then add the cheese, and stir until smooth. Finally, stir in the pasta and transfer to a greased, large casserole dish.
- Top with the stuffing and bake 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!